Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Beyond by Catina Haverlock and Angela Larkin


“Dangerous. Wrong. She could be so close to finding out who I really am, and I don’t want to think about how badly that could damage her. If I have any conscience,
I’ll turn and run. But I can’t let her go.”

Presley Hale has no idea the guy she just told off in the school parking lot died in a drowning accident four months ago. Why would she? It’s not like she knows she can see the dead. Stunned by Presley’s sixth sense, Landon Blackwood rethinks his planned departure and begins tracking her to find answers to their mysterious connection.

When their complicated relationship turns dangerous, they learn that tampering with the boundaries of death comes with consequences. Can Landon save Presley from the insidious spirits who have marked her for death, or was their love doomed from the beginning?


I haven't read a good paranormal/supernatural type romance in a bit so this book felt fresh and new to me.  I loved the mountain setting of Truckee, Nevada.  I drive through Truckee all the time on my way to California.  It's a beast of a place in the winter!!  You sure don't get many books set there but I loved it!

The characters in this book were good.  I liked them and the way they all connected to each other.  Presley has the weight of the world on her shoulders with a special needs sibling that is mostly her responsibility, moving to a new school only to be bullied and having an absentee father.  Presley has a serious disposition to go along with her tremendous responsibility.

I felt that the relationship between Presley and Landon progressed naturally and easily.  I enjoyed their interactions.  The story definitely kept me interested because I honestly wasn't sure how things were going to end.  The build up to the end was fantastic.

The ending left me confused though.  I didn't love it.  After this huge build up with the Vigilum, I guess I was expecting a bit more.  It felt rushed.  I can't say too much without giving things away but the place and time where Presley and Landon ended left me with so many questions.  It didn't really resolve the "how" of things and I was frustrated by it.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this book.  These authors show a lot of promise and I'll be watching to see what comes next from them.  (a sequel in the spring of 2018 which will maybe give me some answers to those unresolved questions?)

Content:  bulling, some kissing

- I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. I am getting frustrated with all these books in a series. All too often, even when I love the book, I never reach the end. Hope you do.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.