Friday, July 28, 2017

With You Always (Orphan Train #1) by Jody Hedlund


Could following the opportunity of a lifetime cost them the love of their lives?

One of the many immigrants struggling to survive in 1850s New York, Elise Neumann knows she must take action to care for her younger sisters. She finds a glimmer of hope when the New York Children's Aid Society starts sending skilled workers to burgeoning towns out west. But the promise of the society's orphan trains is not all that it seems.

Born into elite New York society, Thornton Quincy possesses everything except the ability to step out from his brother's shadow. When their ailing father puts forth a unique challenge to determine who will inherit his railroad-building empire, Thornton finally sees his chance. The conditions to win? Be the first to build a sustainable community along the Illinois Central Railroad and find a suitable wife.

Thrown together against all odds, Elise and Thornton couldn't be from more different worlds. The spark that ignites between them is undeniable, but how can they let it grow when that means forfeiting everything they've been working toward?

 * Amazon * Goodreads *

This book is the exact reason I love historical fiction.  In it I am able to learn about events in history through characters that I can connect to.  Yes, the characters are fictional, but they represent the people of that time- their feelings, their struggles and their triumphs.

This particular book is set in the midst of the immigrants to America in the 1850's and their struggle to sustain life.  How awful it must have been to leave your home country in search of a better life only to find it worse than the one you left.  

I loved this story.  It was told in a way that connected to my heart.  I could so easily visualize everything that was happening- the places and the people.  My heart hurt for the struggles of Elise and her family.  Thornton's journey of self awareness, compassion and understanding were so satisfying.  So, so good.

I cannot wait to read the next book in this series.  This book sets things up perfectly for a continuation but still left me utterly satisfied.  That's how I like a series to be.

Content:  Clean, mild romance, some kissing.  A situation of abuse with no details, just the aftermath.  Mild peril.

- I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.  A positive review was not required and all opinions expressed are my own.


2 comments:

  1. I've seen so many bloggers that loved this book. It sounds like a winner all around. I need to get my hands on a copy! My TBR is getting ridiculously long, but people keep publishing good books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you are saying!! Hard to complain about too many good books though! :)

      Delete

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.